International Medical Corps Medical Activity Manager Job Opening
International Medical Corps
Career Opportunity: Medical Activity Manager
Background: International Medical Corps is a global, humanitarian, nonprofit organization dedicated to saving lives and relieving suffering through health care training and relief and development programs.
Established in 1984 by volunteer doctors and nurses, International Medical Corps is a private, voluntary, nonpolitical, nonsectarian organization. Its mission is to improve quality of life through interventions that build local capacity in underserved communities worldwide.
Since 1991, International Medical Corps has responded to the emergency needs of the Somali population through interventions in health, nutrition, WASH, and food security and livelihoods.
Follow up of activities and definition of objectives:
- Assesses progress made in the projects and the quality of medical assistance given by visiting regularly the projects and proposing the medical coordinator reorientation strategies when necessary.
- Compiles medical statistics, checks their validity and analyses them (EPI, Dressing, MCH, Nursing protocols, Sterilization, Hygiene and Pharmacy).
- Participates in drawing up medical reports for his/her activity.
- Checks and ensures that all data management tools (HIS…) are used and updated properly and timely.
- Participates in the surveillance of the health situation for the populations concerned by the project.
- Participates in exploratory missions and proposes new intervention strategies if necessary.
Implementation of programs:
- Contributes to ensure that the activities are running correctly (triage, referrals, spaces providing “privacy”, universal precautions, management of bio-hazards, etc.).
- Checks and ensures that all IMC protocols are followed properly.
- Checks and ensures the quality of the care given within the frame of the activity (EPI, Dressing, OTP-, MCH, Nursing protocols, Sterilization, Hygiene and Pharmacy), according to IMC/Somali Standard protocols, values and quality standards.
- Monitors the rational distribution of medicines and other medical materials and assist in pharmacy management.
- Carry out medical training in collaboration with Medco and Medical Director
- Promotes communication and active participation of all medical staff in the project and promotes IMC values and philosophy.
- Checks that the medical staff of the project is properly managed, according to HR vision, policies and values and reports any problem or issue to Medical Coordinator.
- Reinforces the skills of supervisors, all nursing-related staff by identifying training needs and asking for/providing trainings.
- Ensures that regular evaluations of all nursing-related staff in project are properly done.
- Participates in the definition of the posts required for his/her activity and draws up job descriptions.
- Participates in the recruitment of personnel for his/her activity with the different supervisors, the administration manager and Medical Coordinator.
- Reports immediately to the coordination team in the event of medical error in his/her activity.
- Supervises the work of the staff working (supervisors and nursing-related staff) in the activity.
- Leads and organizes with the supervisor’s regular team meetings.
- Carries out annual individual evaluations of supervisors under her/his responsibility.
- Identifies the individual potential of the staff under her/his responsibility and informs Medco.
- Participates in the training of the nursing-related staff (individual practical training, team training, courses, etc…).
Visits to the field:
- Regular visits to the field. Prepares ToR before each visit in collaboration with Medco and Medical Director and write a visit report for every visit.
- Provides technical support, on-the-job trainings and lectures to the supervisors and medical staff in the field.
- Asses the projects, the supervisors and the nursing-related staff’s performance during the visits.
- Replaces national staff in the field when required.
- Participates in emergency response activities, assessments and/or exploratory missions in or out of the IMC project area of work.
Skills and Requirements:
- Professional qualification in relevant field – Nursing or medicine
- Must have a relevant Nursing or Medicine (MBBS) qualification from a recognized university.
- Experience in managing Health and Nutrition programs.
- At least 4 plus years of experience in similar roles.
- Have clinical case management and protocol developments experience.
- Experience in managing Health & Nutrition, human resources.
- Organization, initiative, tidiness and courtesy are mandatory.
- Experience in explore mission and set up of new health facilities.
- Willingness and able to travel and work in other areas outside his/her main station.
- Fluency in English and Somali language required.
- This is a national position
How to Apply:
IMC Somalia is inviting qualified candidates who meet the above requirements to send cover letter and CV to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please indicate the job title in the email subject line clearly.
Deadline for applications: 25th June 2018.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview.
International Medical Corps is an equal opportunity employer